Oct 27, 2005

Don't Stop Believin'!

I couldn't allow myself to link where these lyrics come from. Suffice it to say that Steve Perry has become a masscot of the White Sox as of late and Journey's anti-classic Don't Stop Believin' a theme song of the team. So while I withhold my endorsement of this song and band I highly encourage you to click on this title to go to a very cool website!!!

THE CHICAGO WHITE SOX ARE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!!!

I have very little to say. I watched the game in my church's theatre room, ate some Ruffles potato chips, and some Prairie Farms french onion dip-all while watching my team sweep the world series. It isn't every day that your team wins the big one. In my lifetime the Greenbay Packers have won one Superbowl and the Indiana Hoosiers have won two basketball championships (when I was in grade school). I cheer for the Big Ten in general in college football (except Ohio State and Michigan and Purdue) so that isn't exactly a prime spot for picking up trophies. Who the hell watches hockey? Soccer? Golf is boring. The NBA hasn't been fun to watch since Jordan left the first time and I'm kind of a closet Boston Celtic fan (mostly because my pseudo-spouse Thompson is a Laker fan), but really don't watch any of it. This leaves major league baseball, and with me since I was eight or so there has been only one team of interest-the often obscure, lowly, second fiddle to perpetual hype pushers from the northside, team of Thomas and...Bo Jackson...and Jordan while he was dicking around, the Chicago White Sox. Grand Total there have been four major championships won by teams that I really care about in my lifetime. This one was awfully sweet, mostly because it was so surprising. I hope you all get to experience your team winning the big game, if for no other reason that you get to feel like a part of something successful for five seconds while you eat your fatty snack and sack out. There are loftier reasons we root for sports teams. Sometimes we see ourselves in their style. Often it is an escape from our daily grind. For me, right this minute, it is mostly about a sense of fulfillment-I have not wasted my time cheering for these guys. If you've never experienced it? Stop cheering for the Cubs-or just hang in there-your day is coming.

No comments: