Dec 19, 2005

Have yourself a merry little Christmas. Make the yuletide gay!

The people I work for freak out over the word gay. It didn't used to mean godless infidels, but it does now, at least around here. Yesterday we went caroling and we were singing Deck the Halls and when it got to the line 'Don we now our gay apparel' all my fellow carolers looked at me suspiciously. I don't now how I came to represent all things queer to these people and I guess I don't care. Later yesterday my kids and I were talking about our favorite Christmas song and I said mine was Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. When I started thinking of the words and got to the above line I thought, 'well that figures.' The link today (click on the title) will take you to what I thought was one funny commercial, although they've removed what it was for and it sounds like tis on a Funniest commercials TV show. Anyway, enjoy. Fa-la-la-la-la La-la-la-la!

Christmas, that season of perpetual hope and love when all things are possible and humanity turns inward and finds new strength to meet its looming obstacles; a time when all men are overcome with goodwill and great joy.

Although I did notice a trend today. Sorry I've become a reporter on reporting the last few days. It's just that the news has gotten so freaking funny.

LONDON (Reuters) - British police said Friday they were looking for a Santa acting suspiciously -- a flasher who had repeatedly exposed himself to women, including on one occasion while dressed as Father Christmas.

Officers in Swanage on the south coast of England said the flasher had struck a number of times since December 6, and a week later exposed himself whilst wearing a Santa Claus outfit.

"I would be very interested to hear from anyone who may have seen someone acting suspiciously while dressed as Father Christmas in the Gilbert Road or surrounding areas of Swanage town center," Police Constable Jonathan Maunder said.

"These incidents of indecent exposure have caused a great deal of upset to the women that the man has approached."


What's worse than one crazy Santa? Forty drunken crazy Santas.

WELLINGTON (Reuters) - Forty drunken Santas rampaged through central Auckland, stealing from stores and assaulting security guards, the New Zealand Herald reported on Sunday, in a protest against the commercialization of Christmas.

Police said some of the Santas threw beer bottles, one tried to climb the mooring rope of a cruise ship and a security guard was punched during the fracas.

"They came in, said 'Merry Christmas' and then helped themselves," convenience store staff member Changa Manakynda told the Herald, which reported the Santas also attacked a Christmas tree.

The event organizer, Alex Dyer, had warned the antics would only stop when someone was arrested, said the Herald, which linked the incident to "Santarchy."

Santarchy (www.santarchy.com) and online encyclopedia wikipedia (www.wikipedia.org) record protests going back around 10 years in the United States, with participants marking Christmas in anti-commercial manner involving street theater, pranks and public drunkenness.

Police said identification was a key issue as they tried to sort out which of the 40 men and women had done what.

"With a number of people dressed in the same outfit, it was difficult for any witnesses to confirm the identity of who was doing what," Senior Sergeant Matt Rogers told Reuters.


In pondering such meaningful happenings it occured to me that Santa needs to start defending himself from those who would use his image in inappropriate ways. For instance Coke, Santacon, Macy's, and one scene in Jarhead.

And having typed that sentence it occured to me that Jesus needed to do the same thing.

And having typed that sentence I entered Santa and Jesus into Yahoo search and saw how much controversy seems to surround these two. In the first 100 hits my search recieved there were over 20 sites arguing why Jesus was better than Santa and over 10 sites arguing why Santa was in fact the work of or indeed the devil himself.

I just want to quote one of these sites, "Our hope, redemption, and salvation is in Jesus not Santa."

I read that and thought...was there any real debate on this? And then I thought about all the crap I have been writing about; Christmas servcies being canceled, shoppers going nuts, Santas storming stores, protesting the 'Holidays' (by the way a freind pointed out that that word is actually composed of two other words holy and days if any kooks are reading today), Father Christmas getting drunk and flashing ladies, radio airwaves getting crapped into by Christmas music, money getting wasted, people getting stressed, and I came to the only real conclusion I maybe ever have come to about people...

People love drama!

None of these problems is real and I'd sure like to live in a world where people tried to solve the ones that were.

No comments: