Jan 27, 2006

I remember the first time I drove through Indiana thinking to myself how big this land really is.

I'm going to Indy tonight to see a great band that no one's ever heard of called The Samples. They wrote a song called Indiana that is quoted in today's title and one of the few songs my sister and I both like. Since I'll be driving through Indiana tonight this song seemed appropriate. Click the title to go to their website and look for me there on their front row cam in coming days!

I'll be out of town tonight, so here's what would be your Friday post.

Let's talk for a few seconds about my favorite radio station in the world.

Keeping in mind I've always lived in Indana, only traveled to about 15 states, and only spent twelve days out of the country. I'm posting a permanent link on my blog to 92.3 WTTS out of Bloomington. They were the station I listened to in high school when I needed a break from Hank Williams and Snoop Dogg (the two extremes of my peers). They play a lot of classic stuff, singer/songwriter stuff, and have some great features like the Cage Match each night at 7:30 or so.

Now they stream live and have a new music channel for VIP's and becoming one is free.

I listen to them a lot when I'm trying to put together the camp CD. They seem to be ahead of the spoonfed stations when picking hits. 92.3 WTTS is where I first heard Blues Traveler, Dave Matthews Band, Jack Johnson, Marc Broussard, and KT Tunstall. Who by the way I'm going to see in concert in March.

If you want a window into the music that motivates me, because I'm sorry Kasey it's not Panic! At The Disco check out WTTS. And if you've got a favorite radio station post it here or email me and I'll link it. In a world of XM, iPod, streaming music, and commercial free satelite radio I for one will take this little rock station in Bloomington!

My favorite music quotes:

“Music is the soul of this generation”-J. Clinton McCann (Professor at Eden Seminary and Author of Face the Music)


“When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.” -Henry David Thoureau

"Cause you’re killers, you’re the demons and you know that! Your music, rock n’roll is Satanic music! If you make the music go back you hear Satan speaking!" -Unknown preacher, sample by Faith No More and Midfield

"Music will be here now."-John Lennon

"Oh, how one wishes sometimes to escape from the meaningless dullness of human eloquence, from all those sublime phrases, to take refuge in nature, apparently so inarticulate, or in the wilderness of long grinding labor, of sound sleep, of true music, or of human understanding, rendered speechless by emotion!"-Dr. Zhivago

It is good to praise the Lord
And make music to your name, O Most High,
To proclaim your love in the morning
And your faithfulness at night
To the music of ten-stringed lyre
And the melody of the harp
For you make me glad by your deeds O Lord
I sing for joy at the works of your hands
How great your works O Lord, how profound your thoughts
The senseless man does not know, fools do not understand
That though the wicked spring up like grass and the evildoers flourish
They will be forever destroyed
But you, O Lord, are exalted forever


Psalm 92:1-8

“The trouble with real life is that there is no danger music.”-The Cable Guy

“Conflict is simple. You have to face the music or stop dancing.”-Unknown

“It happens so suddenly. We are going about our own mundane tasks when-a phrase of music, a shaft of sunlight on a snowy roof, a handful of yellow butterflies, or the arc of a bird diving to the earth, pierces us. For one brief moment we are lifted out of our daily routine into the untold realms of light and beauty. Then the moment is gone. We are back on Earth-but we are not the same.”-Unkown

“Those who dance are considered insane by those who can’t hear the music.”-George Carlin

And to quote Neil Young my friends and bid you a fine weekend...
Keep on rocking in the free world!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog, J.D.


See you at youth group!!