Feb 12, 2006

I met you in the shadows and your face was all aglow.

It is rare that I am the sentimental type, but with Valentine's Day approaching my streak of 26 consecutive years without a true love continues so I decided to get all girly and talk about love.

Not that I actually know anything about it. But I have heard stories.

On the flipside I decided that I would honor one of my heroes by posting a blog about Johnny Cash the 12th of each month (he died September 12, 2003). My cousin, upon watching Walk The Line with me called me Johnny's biographer, and while that is not close to being true, I remain indeed inspired by his life. While I can't pretend to know him; I am only a fan. I would like to share his stories with you, if for no other reason than they resonate deeply with me.

Herein is the fusion of those two aims; a surprisingly touching blog about the Man in Black and his Wildwood Flower.

The title today is the opening lyric from a song on Johnny's Unearthed box set called As Long As The Green Grass Shall Grow which he sings with June. Clicking the title will take you to Yahoo Music's video listings for June Carter Cash. I highly recommend watching Keep On The Sunny Side. It is a beautiful window into these two icons simple and profound love.

I am fortunate. I have a lot of examples of true love in my life. One particular memory that illustrates this comes from one of my family's annual camping trips to Lieber State Park. I was riding alone in the back of a boat, taking the tour of Raccoon Lake for the umpteenth time. My grandparents sat in front of me and as I looked ahead I saw my grandma grab my grandpa's hand and hold it. I smiled a little and turned toward my parents, riding beside my grandparents across the aisle, to point it out to them. They too were holding hands. In the aisle across from me, my uncle Dallas had his arm around my aunt Jane telling one of his crazy stories. I thought about how impressive this display was and in a lot of ways feel the need to one day live up to it. Some people don't have these kind of stories to tell about their family. I offer up a more corporate example.


Perhaps you've seen the movie Walk the Line. If so, you know a little bit about the love between Johnny Cash and June Carter. If you missed it, you only missed a little and the basic story goes this way. In 1956 Johnny Cash was new to the music scene and June Carter, of the famed Carter Family, was a seasoned veteran having already accomplished enough for most people to call a career. June would tell the story of her and Johnny's immediate connection, as would John, but they were both married at the time. Their attraction took the form of a performing partnership as June, as well as The Carter Family, toured with Johnny through much of the sixties and into the seventies. The partnership was a successful one as June and Johnny would win awards for collaborations and as June would write Johnny's hit Ring Of Fire. She said later of that song:

"One morning, about four o'clock I was driving my car just about as fast as I could. I thought, 'Why am I out on the highway this time of night?' I was miserable, and it all came to me: 'I'm falling in love with somebody I have no right to fall in love with.' I can't fall in love with this man, but it's just like a ring of fire."

After both of their marriages ended their friendship grew stronger as June helped Johnny battle a drug addiction. Of this time Johnny would write:

"What June did for me was post signs along the way, lift me up when I was weak, encourage me when I was discouraged, and love me when I felt alone and unloveable."

The attraction that began in 1956 that had become a partnership and friendship would become a marriage in 1968. Together they became a strong union, raising seven children and always holding true to one another, though there would be more battles to overcome. They remained married for 35 years, surrounding themselves with a family of musicians, writers, poets, producers, and close friends of all walks of life throughout the years. They frequently appeared with Billy Graham at Christian crusades. They spoke out about causes from the Vietnam war to the treatment of the Native American. They wrote books and each continued to produce music until their deaths. When asked how they remained such a strong couple through it all Cash would tell Rolling Stone that "unconditional love" was the glue of his marriage.

"You hear that phrase a lot, but it's real with me and her. She loves me in spite of everything, in spite of myself. She has saved my life more than once. She's always been there with her love, and it has certainly made me forget the pain for a long time, many times. When it gets dark, and everybody's gone home and the lights are turned off, it's just me and her."

In Johnny's autobiography he talks about how June refers to his iconic image, the performer in black, as Cash and her husband and the man she loved as John. My favorite moment in the movie alludes to this. What an amazing way to keep track of yourself. In a world where our icons seem less than human, Johnny's strength was always his down to earth way. I guess because Cash, the legend that lives on, was but one of the many sides to John, June's husband.

One of the last images many of us got of June was that moment in Johnny's Hurt video when we see her standing behind him as he cries and expresses his regret. She tilts her head and gives a look of bitter, but unfaltering love. It is a touching moment and will remain a lasting tribute to her frequent position in Johnny's life-the loving woman behind the man.

May 18, 2003 June Carter Cash passed away.
Rosanne Cash said this in her eulogy:

"In her eyes, there were two kinds of people in the world: those she knew and loved, and those she didn't know, and loved. She looked for the best in everyone; it was a way of life for her. If you pointed out that a particular person was perhaps not totally deserving of her love, and might in fact be somewhat of a lout, she would say, 'Well, honey, we just have to lift him up'. She was forever lifting people up. It took me a long time to understand that what she did when she lifted you up was to mirror the very best parts of you back to yourself."

It would seem the Hurt video might have been the last time we saw Cash as well. June's husband John was left heartbroken, alone in the dark without his love. He went into the studio and recorded again, with a broken heart and a mournfully graveled voice. September 12, 2003, just a few months after June left, John followed her home. None of his fans were surprised. Indeed, it seemed a natural progression of their love.

Country singer Shelby Lynne penned this song the day Johnny passed.

Got some news today from the radio man
He spoke the words softly and as somber as he can
The world stood still and the sky opened up
made my way to fill up my coffee cup.
Then it occurred to me as the daylight sky shone blue
Today's the day that
Johnny met June.

He waited a while he knew that he would
He was gonna hang around here for as long a he could
The days went by and hours idle passed
He was never sure just how long he would last
But there's not much love in a lonely room
Today's the day that
Johnny met June

Hey my darlin, hey my sweet
I've waited on the day that I knew we would meet.
Hey my sun, hey my moon
Today's the day that
Johnny met June.

Now were starting over it's the place that we are
You look more than pretty underneath all the stars
Love, love is a burning thing
Oh how I still love to hear you sing
And everything we ever heard about heaven is true
Today's the day that Johnny met June
Today's the day that Johnny met June.



I pray that each of us finds someone to love, someone to hold, someone to fight our battles beside; someone to be with when everyone's gone home and the lights go off. I pray that each of us finds in our lives examples of what love should be and partners to recreate it. Without a doubt I have more to say about Johnny Cash in the months ahead. I pray I have more to say about love as well.

No comments: