Mar 12, 2006

God is in the roses and the thorns.

Sorry, I began this blog Saturday night and just got around to finishing it!

This is a line from Rosanne Cash's song God Is In The Roses off of her latest great album Black Cadillac. The album deals with her coming to terms with the death of June, Johnny, and her mother Vivian. Check it out and check out her website by clicking the title above.

I had at least three conversations this weekend where people's lives seemed to have hit a roadblock. Someone very close to me got fired Friday, another friend is going through a divorce and can't even tell me how his daughter is, and one of my kids just called me and her boyfriend broke up with her.

And I've been in the best mood throughout it all!

As someone who suffers from depression you cannot know how big a deal this is, and I realize that today is the 12th and I have committed myself to writing about Johnny Cash. Trying to synthesize my happiness into this blog I was reminded of the day Johhny Cash died.


I was pretty bummed out and came in to work to fire up my email, head full of all the thoughts my head gets filled with when people of incredible influence on me pass away. I checked my inbox and found the following email:

J.D.
Man I know you'll be down today. You just lost one of your heroes. But I want you to know you're one of mine.
Dylan


Dylan is one of the four horsemen, a group of kids from the Indy area that come to my camp, too smart for their own good and too original to appear to be sane. He seems a bit odd, but his heart has always been in the right place. His simple email made that day one of sadness, but also motivation.

I can influence people like I have been. I can be someone people miss the second they are away from. I can be someone's hero too. May you find today not just people you look up to, but people looking up at you as well.

No comments: