Sep 5, 2006

Can you see the wise men simply living, loving quietly, every breath He takes eternity till the sun turns black?

The title/lyric is from Ray Lamontagne's new album Till The Sun Turns Black, this is the title song. You can hear an interview with Ray and a few of his superb songs by clicking the title and listening to NPR's Weekend Edition segment with him.

I am much gentler these days, almost serene. I can't understand it except to say that certain situations call for certain gifts and I'm finding patience and calm to be new ones of mine. Where have I been since July 7-the last day I posted? For that matter, where have I been since May when Exposing My Thorns stoppped its regular sharing?

I was in New York and New Jersey for a few days
I was in Maine for a week on a Mission Trip
I was in Texas lining up a new job
I was at church camp for a week...twice
I was in Denver, Colorado on another Mission Trip
I spent some time visiting friends and family
I slept in my apartment in Fort Wayne 8 times this summer
I slept at church a lot more
I slept on airplanes and in vans a ton more than that
I drove with all my office stuff and some clothes to Kingwood, Texas
Where I've been serving as Youth Minister for 10 days!!!

There will be things to share about these travels, someday, but for now I wanted to get back in the swing of posting what was on my mind. Today it's the fact that where I once was forceful and intense, I am now an easy does it, smiling believer that it will work out in due time.

Is this age? Is this wisdom? Is this temporary?


I remember my first few days in Bluffton; there was such energy with which I had propelled myself out of Evansville and so much to be done I was quick in the thick of it. Ofcourse all the lasting work was done over time both places. Is it that knowledge that has mellowed my arrival. I am not timid, I am confident and energetic. I just believe in the fruition of my dreams here so much that I don't feel I need to sell them.

This lyric seems to put forth the notion that the wise men are in a hurry to get from place to place, away from Herod I'm sure, and to the promised Savior when all they should have done is watched him breathe in an out life.

I have reached some new mellow peace-not sad like other days of less intensity-and not without intensity, just not overpowering my other gifts like in the past. I feel I've reached some new awareness of my talents and set a tone that lays them out for all to see, but not in some showy or bossy or intimidating way. That sounds good right?

Why does it feel so unsettling?

No comments: