Sep 7, 2006

Let's talk about sex baby...

This title/lyric is too obvious, but too fitting-it's a Salt N Peppa song from my own misspent youth. Take the link to another great NPR story about this subject.

1 in 5 kids age 12-14 has had sexual intercourse!

Some may wonder if I am ready to deal with these oversexed youth...
You know the kind of kids who go to this school...

The Return of
THE WEEKLY INAPPROPRIATE CHURCH SIGN


All I have to say is there is no man more interested in the subject of sex and no one less interested in talking to kids about it.

Luckily the church I am now serving has a whole sex curriculum they teach and an entire weeklong sex camp they send 8th graders to, so I'll get lots of practice.

My own sexual education was recieved on the school bus from a sweaty overweight Junior in high school (in retrospect with probably inappropriate intentions) when I was a 5th grader who used to tell me things that made me want to throw up until he was dropped off and I would go home and bury my new knowledge in matchbox cars, only later (at 13 or so) to be dealt with fully. I guess a sweaty overweight youth minister who means well is a bit better.

This should be an interesting dimension to my work here.

When authorities warn you of the sinfulness of sex, there is an important lesson to be learned. Do not have sex with the authorities.

- Matt Groening, From "Basic Sex Facts For Today's Youngfolk"

No comments: