Nov 16, 2007

Heaven waits inside of your heart; you can stop looking for it above.

This lyric is one of mine, from a song by my band called Ampersuaded. I guess I got it right ocassionally!

Today I am going to see Rob Bell speak in Dallas and I am really excited! He is one of the pastors/teachers I find challenging and truthful in the midst of a lot of the opposite kind of voices in Christianity. Click the title above to visit Rob Bell's church (Mars Hill Bible Church in Grand Rapids) teaching site. I highly recommend their podcast and listening to as many sermons there as time allows. Great stuff!

Another teacher I dig was with me in thought most of the last few weeks. This past weekend I co-led a retreat that used Brian McLaren's book The Secret Message of Jesus as its curriculum. It is an amazing book and I find him an incredible thinker. I have found a small treasure of his teachings at my favorite hangout YouTube.

Brian deserves to be the first of the teachers (who teach me) to find their way onto Exposing Thorns. Watch this. Kick it around. Buy The Secret Message. And stay tuned, there are some other teachers out there worth hearing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As long as we are going to edit the Lord's prayer to fit the way we think, we better edit, "Forgive my sin as I forgive those who sin against me" to "Forgive me my sins, better, much better than I forgive those who sin against me, for I do not forgive them." At least we'd be honest then.
MMatheny