Dec 16, 2005

All our times have come. Here, but now they're gone. Seasons don't fear the reaper.

I've actually never liked Blue Oyster Cult or the song Don't Fear The Reaper where our title comes form today. However Will Ferrel and Chritopher Walken changed all that in what must have been the best SNL skit since Dana Carvey left (except that episode Ian McKellan hosted). Anyway, click the link to watch that skit! I'd do this before or after you've pondered my post. Regardless of how life changing this quote is, I promise this is one damn funny skit!

Fear is the sand in the machinery of life someone once wrote.
Today I post my single most favorite quote and ask each of you to ponder it for a while. I could give a sermon about how useless I feel fear is, in fact I have. Sparing you that I will just leave you with this quote. In fact the whole book is pretty great.

I've seen this quote attributed to Nelson Mandela, which would be believable, but isn't true, although he has used this quote himself. I wonder what it would mean to have a leader that motivated us to be better? Okay, that's definitely a different day. Here's a little story about where I first found the quote. I expect you to print it out and chew on it, maybe even comment!

I was in Memphis, TN a few years ago just after they'd built a new high tech library. In front of the building is a wlkway filled with wisdom and they have these sculptures that look like scrolls, five of them. Four of them are rolled out and engraved into them are marks of history, discoveries, quotes, ideas, scriptures of many faiths, political ideas, poetry, songs, and diagrams. The fifth one is blank to represent what will be written and discovered in the future. It is an amazing sampling of God’s children’s ideas. And just before you enter the door to the library, as an unmarked centerpiece to this monument read these words:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous ? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." from A Return To Love: Reflections on the Principles of A Course in Miracles
Chapter 7, Section 3
by Marianne Williamson

1 comment:

2L said...

Are you sure that quote is by Marianne Williamson? I could have sworn it was Nixon. Anyhow...inspiring and thoughtful as usual, keep it going through the holidays, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

"I would have made a good pope." -Richard Nixon