May 4, 2006

Boy you're gonna carry that weight, carry that weight a long time.

This title/lyric is from the Beatles song Carry That Weight. If you've never heard of them, there is either no hope for you or you are a pretentious music snob.

Last night (Tuesday) I watched American Idol which I hate for the second time this season. I decided to become a regular viwer of their competition night because then I get all the jokes on Telivision Without Pity's recaplet, which is hilarious. I linked it, click on the title to go there. Afterward I watched House which I love, ofcourse I missed the second part of the two parter tonight so I'll have to imagine what happened next, which I can probably do without any real effort.

Then I had trouble deciding between Boston Legal and Law and Order: SVU. I think Law and Order is probably a more solid show as far as acting and writing, but I am on this weird William Shatner (Star Trek's Captain Kirk)kick lately. Have you seen him as Denny Crane yet on Boston Legal? Hilarious! As I debated which to see I caught a glimpse of Candice Bergen (from Murphy Brown fame) who I dig and then Julie Bowen (Ed's Carol) and decided that superior performance and design were sometimes not enough to overcome charisma and sex appeal. The episode of Boston Legal was mildly interesting. This 300 some pound man sued a snack cake maker claiming they gave him diabetes. That wasn't interesting enough so I flipped it back to Law and Order, where Natalie Cole (ripped off her dad) was playing a lawyer trying a case against a man accused of murder asking him if eating certain food caused his diabetes.

I'm not kidding!

At the same time, two court shows had two court scenes involving fat people claiming to be victims of their overeating. And then, which I believe many of you will find hard to believe, I flipped to another channel airing Jerry Springer and what did I see? I saw a four hundred pound woman in her bra and panties holding a turkey leg while she sat in a kiddie pool full of mashed potatoes and gravy!

I am being totally serious!!!

Today soft drink makers decided to stop putting sodas in schools because we are a fat fat country.

The info below comes from an article on downtoearth.org

According to the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention), obesity in adults has increased by 60% within the past twenty years and obesity in children has tripled in the past thirty years. A staggering 33% of American adults are obese and obesity-related deaths have climbed to more than 300,000 a year, second only to tobacco-related deaths.

Fast-food restaurants have become mainstream in the past 30 years and practically all of America takes advantage of the cheap prices, quick service and tasty meals. Convenient as they may be, these meals contain practically no nutrients. They are comprised mostly of saturated fats and highly refined carbohydrates and are loaded with sodium and sugar. The average adult shouldn't have more than 65 grams of fat or 2000 calories a day. One meal from Burger King, a hamburger and French fries, has 50 grams of fat and 2000 calories, which is almost enough to fill someone's fat and calorie quota for the day!

The average child sees more than 10,000 food ads on TV each year, most for high-calorie, high-fat, and high-sugar meals. Not only does the fast food industry spend billions per year on marketing, but also they have infiltrated our schools, signing contracts with them. Our children are bombarded from every angle with these toxic foods making it virtually impossible for them to eat anything else. It is no wonder that we have an increasingly obese population of children (who in time will become an obese population of adults).


I need to be a better activist.


We should all go to http://www.obesityinamerica.org/
They have a Body Mass Index calculator there that will compute if you are obese, overweight, normal, or underweight. According to them, and I don't dispute, I am obese.

This isn't the fault of anybody, or any fastfood chain, chip (or dip) maker, cola company, or ad firm. This is because I am undisciplined and busy-which is a lethal combination-and I have been both of these things since I was 10 or so.

Having plead guilty and let go all other parties I stand alone convicted of these crimes.

And it's time I did something about it.

I don't want to be one of the 300,000. I don't want to be the 300 some pound diabetic suing Little Debbie. I sure don't wanna be swimming in my underwear in a kiddie pool of gravy! Where do I start? Owning up. Getting a regimin. Faking discipline until it takes. I imagine I'll have more to say in weeks to come. Until then, wish me the best in my impending rice cake existence.

No comments: