May 5, 2006

I've always been the easy kill. I guess I always will.

This title is a Jimmy Eat World lyric from their song Kill off of their album entitled Futures. This is actually a pretty great band, with usually stellar lyrics to go with their hook-laced tunes. Check them out by clicking on the title.

Yes another Thursday was lost to me and I come late to offer my sign. I've tried to make it a good one with a good story from my early moments in ministry.
Enjoy...
THE WEEKLY (Usually Thursday) INAPPROPRIATE CHURCH SIGN

This is what I'm saying the church should be reaching out to the community and offering their services.




These Methodists have got it right. Offer up your church as a real aid to those in need.

True story, in my first interview at a church I was asked the following question: "We are having some trouble getting the younger generations and the older generations to see eye to eye on worship. How would you help young people understand the traditions they've inherited and old people understand the importance of kids in church?"

My answer: "Well I think young people just don't understand why we have many of the traditions and if their purpose and history were explained they might find real meaning in them." Pretty decent start huh? Now read this next part out loud...
"And I think at some point you just have to youth-inize the old people."

What I meant was get them involved in your youth program, excited about it, invested in it. What I said was-'kill 'em'. The committee I was speaking to just stared in dumbfounded silence until I realized how what I said sounded and cracked up!

Enjoy your weekends and get to church; however traditional or controversial your needs require.

1 comment:

2L said...

ahahahahahaha...I wonder if they new that in the old days they used to bury old folk in the cushions of couches