May 2, 2007

Careless in our summer clothes, splashing around in the muck and the mire.

The lyric today comes from the beginning of Hang Me Up To Dry by Cold War Kids. They are an interesting band. Check them out by clicking the title and visiting their site.

My childhood was a typical midwestern one in a small town with a neighborhood of kids to play with. We would spend the day outside only running in for potty breaks and popsicles, a lunch of fishsticks or chicken nuggets and some form of potato (tot, fry, chip), and afternoon cartoons. My favorite was He-Man and The Masters of The Universe.

If you need a refresher...



I loved He-Man, collected ALL (except one-never got a Trapjaw) the action figures, had He-Man apparel, and a He-Man lunchbox. So YouTube made me laugh when I came across this clip.

Check out this video of nutjobs talking about He-Man:



If you watched that, you have got to be cracking up a little. I don't understand why some Christians rush to make more out of things than they are, nor do I think that to me as a kid (or adult for that matter) was the occult ever a part of the He-Man experience. I have heard similar arguments lately against Harry Potter and I just sit kinda dumbfounded that some people can read the Bible, especially Jesus' words and stories and somehow fit into that understanding that they must fight against childhood stories and TV shows while they are tending to the sick and poor. I think it would be different if Skeletor with his demonic staff was the one we were supposed to be rooting for, or there weren't a message at the end of each episode helping us to be better citizens, but good versus evil is pretty basic and I know no kids then or now who aspire to be on the wrong side of things as they watch morality battle in technicolor.

Now as far as the other commentary, mostly upon reflection, that has been vaulted at He-man, I see how that could be a logical argument. It would make He-Man a groundbreaking TV show in another vein. What is that commentary? Well, check this clip out and guess for yourself...



Hahaha! Mr. Cringerpants!

I think I've posted that before, but it deems repeating.

Somehow I survived He-Man and grew up to be a Heterosexual Christian Minister. I guess I beat the odds and the rest of my neighborhood growing up are demonic homosexuals sculpting ram's heads for a living.

No comments: